I generally find it in my best interest not to get involved in the "social media controversies" that seem to be more and more prevalent these days. But, boy oh boy was the Internet blowing up today over this one.
I have seen a lot of people who have always been openly against the church taking the opportunity to shout from the rooftops what hypocrites we are. That, I'm used to. What really surprised me is the amount of members who seem to be struggling with this news. To that, I say: search, ponder, and pray. One of the things I love most about this gospel is that we are not taught to just blindly follow. It's ok to have doubts and questions: find out the answers. And especially, wait for the church's official statement, which is undoubtedly coming. Don't trust news sources to tell you what you believe.
But for me, I have to say this didn't come as any surprise. It has never been a secret that the church does not support gay marriage. That has been a struggle for many, especially in the past few years. But for the members who, only months ago, changed their temple profile pictures to be rainbows, I ask: did you really not see this coming?
All the people who shouted that gay marriage should be legalized are now saying, "but the children should not be held responsible for their parents choices!" Isn't that the point? Isn't that what we were fighting to protect them from in the first place?
The repercussions of gay marriage reach far beyond just supporting or not supporting two people in their love lives. Children become involved, and it is my belief that "Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ." (The Family Proclamation) To those who didn't understand why the church didn't support gay marriage in the first place, this is why. Because of the far reaching affects.
But, it's done. It's legal, and this is where we are today.
But as a member of the church, I am still not surprised about the recent announcement. Why?
Because my dad doesn't agree with the teachings of the church, and knowing that I was interested, he asked me to wait until I was 18 before getting baptized. So, I did. Simple as that. Because I love and respect him. Even if I had decided to secretly join the church behind his back, they wouldn't have let me. This policy isn't new, it's just a hot topic today because of where we are in the world. And I agree with it and support it wholeheartedly.
It is not about exclusion. As always, even when it's something we didn't agree with in the first place, it's about the family. It's about avoiding putting the children at odds with the parents. 
This doctrine is hard. How can we ask children to go to church, make covenants and learn doctrine, and then go home and hear the opposite? Does it really seem prudent to teach an 8 year old that we believe their parents marriage is wrong?
In my mind, it makes perfect sense that those children should not have to bear that burden so young. They are still welcome in church. They are even welcome to be baptized under the right circumstances. But if you are a member, don't let this shake your faith. And if you aren't, I say what I have been hearing for years now: it doesn't affect you. Move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment